The Christian Surfers Leadership Program is a 5 month or 1 year course that’s been designed to equip people with the necessary skills for surf ministry and life. The program consists of a 3 month training phase, followed by 2 months of hands-on mission experience. The Year program consists of the same 3 month training phase, followed by 2 months of hands-on mission. (5 months) and then a further five months of internship working within the CS mission
The program is an initiative of Christian Surfers South Africa and falls under the leadership of the Christian Surfers South Africa team. The training is based in Jeffreys Bay, and outreach will happen around South Africa (with potential for short-term missions in other countries).
We aim to identify the skills and passions of the individual, and then equip them for further involvement in surf missions. The program exposes participants to a broad range of mission strategies, as well as laying personal foundations for spiritual growth.
The course is run by surfers and skaters, for surfers and skaters. We take our calling seriously, but at the same time we want to enjoy ourselves and have fun. As much as possible we try to be flexible with the delivery of the program, so if the waves are 6 foot and cooking lectures might happen later in the day…
- How to run a surf club/contest
- Using surfing to assist work in underprivileged communities,
- Financial and environmental stewardship
- Discipleship and Leadership courses
- General surfing knowledge
- Using media as a tool to raise awareness
- and much more.
The missions phase is based around a practical outworking of what you’ve learnt. You’ll spend time travelling around South Africa, assisting with different Christian Surfers projects as well as running special outreach events. You’ll see people working in different situations, from rural Africa, to a surf school in Cape Town, but most importantly you’ll be exposing surfers and skaters to the gospel message.
- 1st Feb 2013: Feb 2013 students begin Training phase
- 1st May 2013: Feb 2013 students begin Missions phase
- 30th June 2013: Feb 2013 students 5 month program ends
- 1st July 2013: Feb 2013 staying-on students begin next 5 month Internship phase and July 2013 students begin Training phase
- 1st October 2013: July 2013 students begin Mission phase
- 30th November 2013: Feb 2013 students Internship phase ends and July 2013 students 5 month program ends
- 1st December 2013: CSALT program closed – any staying-on students are responsible for own accommodation and transport for December and January